Tamron has announced the development of the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VC VXD G2 (Model A065), shortened to the Tamron 70-180mm G2. This lens, to be released in the autumn, is a large-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras.
The 70-180mm G2 has evolved further from the large-aperture telephoto zoom “70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056).” This lens is part of Tamron’s G2 line. Equipped with Tamron’s unique VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism, more stable shooting is possible while maintaining the smallest and lightest lens in its class.
In addition, the optical design has been upgraded from the original Model A05, attaining uncompromising image quality over the entire zoom range. The minimum focusing distance at the wide-angle end has also been shortened from the 0.85m of the first generation, to 0.3m, allowing users to enjoy unique photographic expressions thanks to the extremely short minimum focusing distance.
In addition, the AF drive is equipped with a linear motor focus mechanism VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) that enables high-speed and high-precision AF, so it can be used not only for still images but also for video shooting.
In addition, the 70-180mm F2.8 G2 can be used with Tamron’s TAMRON Lens UtilityTM and TAMRON Lens Utility MobileTM proprietary software. This makes it possible to customize functions according to various shooting styles such as still images and movies.
The Model A065 adopts a lens design that considers operability and scratch resistance.
Tamron 70-180mm G2 Main Features
(The following is quoted from the Tamron press release)
- The smallest and lightest in its class, with a length of 156.5mm and a weight of 855g.
- Redesigned optical design delivers uncompromising optical performance throughout the 70-180mm zoom range
- Equipped with VXD that achieves high-speed and high-precision AF, greatly improving moving object tracking performance
- Equipped with Tamron’s original image stabilization mechanism VC
- Shortest shooting distance 0.3m at wide-angle end and 0.85m at telephoto end
- Compatible with Tamron’s proprietary software, TAMRON Lens Utility, which expands the possibilities of photography and videography
- High convenience and operability
- Simple drip-proof structure and antifouling coat that supports comfortable shooting
Compatible with various camera functions such as “Fast Hybrid AF” and “Eye AF” installed in Sony cameras
- Filter diameter 67mm standardized for full-frame mirrorless series