Fujifilm is gearing up to launch the FUJIFILM GFX100 II on September 28, 2023. This camera represents the latest addition to the “GFX series” of mirrorless digital cameras and boasts a large format sensor, approximately 1.7 times larger than the standard 35mm format sensor. Its expected retail price is set at $7499.18.
Key Features of the Fujifilm GFX100 II
Sensor and Autofocus:
- This new camera introduces a brand-new 102 million-pixel high-speed sensor, the “GFX 102MP CMOS II HS.” This sensor greatly enhances the readout speed, allowing for high-speed continuous shooting at a rate of 8.0 frames per second.
- Autofocus capabilities have been significantly improved. The camera features advanced face/eye AF with enhanced algorithms and subject detection AF using AI. This AI technology can identify a wide range of subjects, including animals, cars, and more. It enables precise subject tracking, even in fast-paced sports photography scenarios.
Viewfinder and Display:
- The Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) is both high-magnification and high-definition, boasting a viewfinder magnification of 1.0x and 9.44 million dots. This ensures minimal image drift and distortion.
- Additionally, a boost mode with a display frame rate of approximately 120 frames per second ensures accurate capture of fast-moving subjects.
Range of Expression:
- ISO80 is now supported as the standard sensitivity setting, providing a broader dynamic range and reduced noise compared to previous models.
- Improvements to the microlens around the sensor’s edge enhance image quality and autofocus accuracy.
- The camera offers a variety of color tone options, including the new “REALA ACE” mode. Users can choose from 20 different modes to achieve diverse color expressions.
Pixel Shift Multi-Shot:
- Equipped with “Pixel Shift Multi-Shot,” the camera allows for shooting with four times the resolution and faithful color reproduction. This technology shifts the image sensor in precise 0.5 pixel increments to generate 16 RAW files.
GFX100 II Video Capabilities:
- The GFX100 II supports 8K30P shooting and offers in-camera card recording at 4K60P in 4:2:2 10bit. The camera’s video performance has been substantially improved with the installation of a new sensor. This results in reduced rolling shutter distortion and supports ISO100 for higher-quality videos with less noise.
- The camera supports three Apple ProRes codecs and proxy shooting, simplifying the video editing and post-production process.
Dynamic Capabilities and Formats:
- The camera features a versatile “Video Format” mode that is compatible with various lenses. It also introduces a new tracking autofocus function during video recording.
- It is the first in the GFX series to incorporate “F-Log2,” expanding the dynamic range to 14+ stops. It can record images with rich gradation and supports 8K30P 12bit video RAW output via HDMI. Recording in Apple ProRes RAW and Blackmagic RAW on compatible monitors is also possible.
- Timecode synchronization using ATOMOS AirGlu BT is available for multi-camera setups.
High System Scalability:
- The camera is equipped with an Ethernet port, HDMI Type A, and USB-C terminals, greatly improving connectivity with external devices.
- It supports direct recording to external solid-state drives via a USB Type-C cable, irrespective of the shooting mode or format (e.g., 4K60P or 8K30P).
- Furthermore, it is compatible with the cloud service Frame.io Camera to Cloud, allowing rapid upload of video files for editing.
- Dual slots support CFexpress Type B cards and SD cards, and IPTC metadata can be added to images during shooting.
The Fujifilm GFX100 II offers an extensive array of features and capabilities, catering to both photographers and videographers alike. It stands as a versatile choice for professionals in the field.